Monday, November 3, 2008

Cuenca and new friends!


This weekend was great. I live for the weekends when I can escape and frolic with my fellow Au Pairs :) We have so much fun together and it is amazing how we all get along so well.
Saturday we all got up bright and early to meet and catch an 8:50 am train to Ceunca. Cuenca is 100 miles east of Madrid. It was a 2-1/2 hour train ride. Cuenca is more famously known as the Eagles Nest due to its position - atop a hill. The city is separated by a mysteriously large rock where the Huecar and Jucar Rivers meet.

Originally resided by the Arabs, this provincial city is divided into two obvious parts - the modern and the old part. Obviously, the modern part of Cuenca includes new residences, apartments and tower blocks. On the other hand, the old part is considered one of the most magnificent cities of Spain.

When we exited the train station we were put into the modern part of the city and we were all thinking "this is it? We can see this stuff in Madrid!". But thankfully we found a tourism booth and the guy gave a us a map and directed us to the "old" part of Cuenca.
We all agreed that so far Cuenca is our favorite place. It sits up high so the views are amazing! There are "hanging houses" that are built right on top of the cliff, like an extension. Amazing but I don't know if I would want to live in one!


Sunday I met with (ready for this?) My Grandfathers neighbors granddaughter. The day before I left for Spain I attended my Grandparents 50Th wedding anniversary where I met their neighbor Tom. He found out I was going to Madrid and insisted I contact his granddaughter who lives in Madrid. Her father is Toms son. So yesterday I met Lola and we went shopping, had lunch and spent the whole afternoon walking around the city. It was great and we got a long very well. It's exciting to have Spanish friends. I practiced my Spanish with her a bit but we mostly spoke English.

All in all a great weekend!

1 comment:

Eminemily said...

I popped your Blog follower cherry! HAHA Sounds like you are having a blast and I want you to take me to that city when we come and see you. It looks very beautiful!